*DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, therapist, or health professional of any kind. I’m sharing things that I have been taught that have helped me (or not). This is my experience.

Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Featured on CureTalk for World MH Day

This blog was featured on CureTalk for World Mental Health day.  Here is the link:

http://trialx.com/curetalk/2012/10/world-mental-health-day-curetalk-salutes-courage-and-determination-of-mental-health-disorder-survivors/

I am still struggling with the depression.  I just got up at 11:00 am.  I will most likely go back to bed this afternoon.  I've been spending my time awake on CrazyBoards.org as well as reading.

I got two books from the library that were recommended to me:  "Girl, Interrupted" and "An Unquiet Mind".  I read "Girl, Interrupted" yesterday.  You may have seen the movie but while there a few similarities in the book, they are very different.  I enjoyed both.  If you haven't heard of either one you should really check them out.  The book and movie are about a young woman with borderline personality disorder that ends up in a mental hospital for two years.  I am told "An Unquiet Mind" is about a women with bipolar disorder who becomes successful despite her illness.  I will most likely read part of it today.

I also bought a workbook on DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy).  So far I have yet to get past the first few pages.  They want you to begin with three goals, which is great, except I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts together.  The book is my sad replacement for group therapy, since I am unable to find any within an hour of where I live.

I did end up going up to 75 mg of the venlafaxine after talking to my psychiatrist's office.  So far no change.  I also set an appointment with another psychiatrist and I talked to my current psychiatrist's office about switching within their office.  They said they would look into it.  I'm not holding my breath.  My appointment with the new psychiatrist isn't until November 28th so I'll have to see the current one until then.

I have gone back to taking fish oil supplements because there are so many benefits for mental health, like better brain function and memory.  It was recommended to me to start at a small dose and freeze them to make it easier on my stomach.  So far very few fish burps, if any, and my stomach is handling it much better.  I plan to move up slowly to a higher dose.  It's recommended to take 1 to 3 g for the most benefit.  I've also started taking melatonin when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.

I got a call back from my doctor's office about my blood test results.  It turns out my blood sugar is normal so I won't being going on metformin for weight loss.  Also, my bad cholesterol is high and my good cholesterol is low.  She recommended daily exercise and a better diet.  All the more reason I need to get past this depression to have the motivation to actually cook and exercise.  I've been mostly eating whatever is easiest to heat up.

When I see the psychiatrist on the 24th I am going to ask to go up another dose of the venlafaxine, unless I'm feeling better.  I'm still seeing my therapist weekly, but I have been cutting our appointments short because of lack of things to talk about.  I don't have much to say except how depressed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment